 Off-Topic / Debate / 10268
Re: A question of remembrance...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 17:32:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
Daniel Jassim wrote:
The only way there will be peace in the Middle East is if the greedy
Zionists PACK UP AND GO HOME, back to Poland, back to Russia, back to
Germany, back to New York, and so on. Give the Arabs back their land and
leave them in peace.

Oh, now thats a solution. By that generalization, I belive almost NO ONE
in the world has any right to live where they live.

Why make my statement sound so far fetched? Is it any more or less valid
than the British finally pulling out of India?

   Because after the British "left" India, there were still a lot
   of Britons who elected to stay, and India still existed.  Who
   would leave if "the greedy Zionists" packed up and "went home"
   to the places where they--pardon me, their grandparents or more--
   came from?  What if they wanted to stay and live in a truly
   pluralistic vision of Israel-Palestine?  Is there to be no
   room for cohabitation?  Are all Jews therefore Zionists?

   One thing that's not pointed out is that there's been a Jewish
   population in the region for a long time--and in fact, a large
   Jewish population in most of the Arab states surrounding Israel,
   which were forced out under threat of mob violence following
   the creation of Israel.  These people were firmly part of those
   Arab states, yet they were ejected as unfairly as Israel ejected
   Palestinians.  Do we get them their families' birthrights back,
   birthrights that stretch back beyond the foundation of Islam?

   By the way, Palestine has never been an independent state; it's
   also never been a part of an Arab state, save between the seventh
   and fourteenth centuries.  Much of the land was controlled by
   Ottoman (meaning Turco-Circassian in this case) landowners until
   the Mandate (and even then some still held their land).

   I won't argue, however, that Britain effectively stole the
   territory promised to Sharif Husayn in 1916, in what was one
   of the most blatant diplomatic doublecrosses of all time.
   Add to that US complicity in not standing up for the Arab
   delegation at Versailles, and you have the basic injustice
   upon which all these others have been compounded over the
   years.

With regard to Israel, I wouldn't call my statement a generalization. The
specific fact remains that the European Jews ran the Arabs off the land,
including fellow Jews. The Zionists are fraudulent in their claims of
distant Semetic bloodlines. They are Europeans. The Arabs have been the
ethnic majority for thousands of years and they were the first Jews,
Christians and Moslems. They've remained there despite invaders like the
Greeks, Romans, Mongols, Turks and so on.

   Why would you say that they're fraudulent?  They're somehow
   non-Semitic Jews?  Sometime in the last two thousand years,
   being Jewish appealed to Europeans, in lands where being Jewish
   was usually submitting yourself to things far worse than what
   you yourself suffered as a child in the US?  I don't get it.
   Judaism requires family links as a general rule--I'm sorry,
   but I just can't see it springing up among totally unrelated
   populations, as an idea rather than a provenance.  It's not
   like Islam or Christianity in that regard.

I think the only way the world will ever come to peace is when every
person is able to lay down their claim to property because of who their
ancestors were.

Exactly, and that's why the Zionists need to quit Israel and go home.

   Dan, have you ever offered to a Native American (after much
   research, to determine the proper nation to ask) to give them
   your home and property and "go home," wherever that may be
   for someone born and raised in this country and with a rich
   and combined heritage?  Do you believe that title to all of
   the land in the United States (and North America in general)
   should revert to the Native American Nations that peopled
   them, with interest?  It's the same thing, and I'd argue
   even worse, because the world barely got to hear about this
   particular genocide until its damage was virtually done.
   There were no dum-dum bullets in this "police action."

   You're asking of Israel the same sort of thing, so think
   carefully about it.  We're fed the same lies about freedom,
   frontier wilderness, noble savages, and bloodthirsty warriors
   in our past as you fault the "Zionist media" for.  But none
   of the Native American Nations I'm familiar with--and I'm
   not talking about movements like NAN and NAIM--are suggesting
   that Europeans and Africans should "go home." It's too late.
   Generations have lived, worked, and built here, and that
   must be recognised.  My "own" nation, the Oneida, are for
   example seeking claim on a large percentage of the State
   of New York (inexplicably including Albany) as the basis
   for a remuneration claim in kind--meaning, basically, a
   perpetual Federal grant.  But nobody is suggesting throwing
   "those people" off the land--their rights must also be
   respected.

   The point of bringing this up is that they're not going
   "home," there's no home to go to.  They *are* home, and
   that's one of the first points of argument that has to be
   dealt with.  First, the Palestinians need the right to live
   without fear of harm and the right to determine their own
   destinies.  Second, the Israelis need to be recognised, for
   better or for worse, as permanent residents.  Those two
   are absolutely givens.  So long as forces try to deny
   one of those two points, there will be no agreement and
   people will continue to die.  Inside that space there's
   a lot of room for manoeuvre (although some points, like
   Jerusalem, are natural sticks in the craw).

One reason I believe the US is relatively peaceful compared to the world
as a whole is that some 90% or more of americans have no ancestral claim
to the land they live on. On the flip side of this, I see a huge
tradgedy that the reason this is possible is that we essentially
eliminated the native population.

Exactly what is happening in Israel right now. The pro-Zionist American
media even goes so far as to use the word "settlers" to describe the Israeli
occupiers, feeding on American imagery of the wagon trails and "Westward
ho!" Ask a Native American about the "settlers."

   There's one major difference, which is the joke behind
   all of those "Go back to Europe!" cartoons and gags:
   Native Americans would, a few young ideologues aside,
   *never* demand people do that.  It's not in the philosophy.
   They're here, and that's now a given, a point that must
   be accepted and worked around.  Go look at the Oneida
   Nation's website; it's rather enlightening because they
   talk about their goals and purposes in pursuing court
   action on their land claims in upstate New York (which
   includes several large cities, Albany among them).
   Contrast this to the combined vitriol and intolerance--
   religious, ethnic, racial, and class, all rolled into one--
   that we see around Israel.  People are trying to change
   a fait accompli, which is virtually impossible without
   genocide (and I do mean genocide).

   Think about the analogies:  In South Africa, if the end
   of apartheid had meant whites would be told to leave, do
   you think it ever could have succeeded without horrific
   bloodshed?  In Kenya?  In India?  (Zimbabwe is an odd case,
   because only now are whites becoming the target; for 20
   years they were an integral part of the nation's populace,
   a nation even more deeply riven by apartheid than South
   Africa.)  Even in Algeria, there was no *necessity* for
   the colonists to leave; they did so of their own free will.
   However, it's important to note that they also didn't
   have the same sentimental purchase on the land of Algeria.
   They still had France to go back to, where they would be
   represented.

   Land claims change, populations change, even ideas of
   property change.  Trying to toss people who have staked
   their lives--more than their lives, their identities--on
   being in a general location off of that location is going
   to invite total intransigence.  Allow people to move and
   reside where they want, where they can--remunerate those
   who have been dispossessed, and try to make some sort of
   settlement.  That's the first step to closing this book,
   but somehow I don't think Israel's right wing and the
   militant edges of the Palestinian movement will accept
   that.

   best

   LFB