 Off-Topic / Debate / 10269
Re: A question of remembrance...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 17:57:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
See today's WSJ. All the pieces of Brilliant Pebbles have been tested and
shown to work (although not as part of an integrated system). Most of them
in Clementine, one of the most cost effective civilian space missions ever!
[...]
It is clear to me that we CAN develop and deploy a system that can stop
missle launches anywhere in the world.

Um, wrong.  Yet another reason to question anything coming across the pages
of the WSJ.  Not that I've read it since they'd declared breatfeeding
dangerous to infants...

I've been seeing the antiballistic missile development more-or-less behind
the scenes for almost 20 years.  The 100% accuracy scores reflect only the
components that have passed a certain number of QA milestones.  In other
words, the tests are designed to only report the components that do well,
sweeping under the rug even mission-critical items.

Jeremy... Clementine was a SINGLE spacecraft. No backup. Sure, there was QA
performed on components on the ground to put only ones believed to work into
it, but all the components worked (for that mission, which of course was to
do mapping, not shoot things down). So I don't buy that line of reasoning.
Surely you're not saying that we would put components into spacecraft that
weren't QA'ed first??

I'm going to stick to my assertion that space based has a better chance of
working that ground based.

++Lar