 Off-Topic / Debate / 9720
Re: Alien races
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 14:14:54 GMT

Daniel Jassim wrote:
The Bible was not written in Jesus' time.

True.  It was written over about three thousand years before Him, and during
the first century after Him.  And in those texts written before Him were
hundreds of prophecies about His life which He fulfilled.

Actually, it was written several
hundred years later, so it should not be taken as an accurate, historical
account. We know in our own times that facts are twisted within days and
weeks, imagine how much information could be misrepresented after several
generations.

Only a few hundred years after Jesus was there heresy taught, and the Word
of God was twisted to fit men's feelings.  Even today there are many true
Christians who believe in evolution because they want to fit
(unsuccessfully) scientists ideas/findings/theories with the Bible.

Another problem is the Romanization of Christianity which I feel mixed up
many facts, stories and the image of Jesus. Think of the Roman • celebrations
of winter and spring and how they were replaced with the birth and death • of
Jesus. Historically, Jesus was likely born in the spring. The debate
continues on when Jesus really died, but I'm sure bunnies and chocolate • eggs
have nothing to do with him. These are carry overs from the Roman
celebration of spring and fertility.

That is very true.  (On a side note, I once heard an explanation that Jesus
died on a Wednesday and rose Saturday evening, the Jewish Sunday, which
would account for three full days and three full nights in the tomb.)

So, the Bible has many historical flaws already, it's more meaningful as a
moral compass.
(I haven't noticed any historical flaws.)

Morals are good, I'm sure we could all agree.  But what basis is there for
morals in an evolutionary framework?

I stand firmly by idea of life elsewhere, whether in the form of
intellectual beings or simple microbes. We have already found organic
evidence in meteors that have crashed to our planet. We've found water on
other planets in our solar system. We've even discovered planets around
other distant stars.

And please know that it is not necessary to *not* believe in aliens to
believe the Bible, as it is really not of such great importance.  If it
were, then somewhere the Bible would say "there are no beings except on
earth" or something.

Think about this, the dinosaurs ruled the earth for
280 million years. Man, that is homo sapiens, has only been around for • about
40,000 years. When we think in terms of these great spans of time, we
realize that we are relative newcomers.

Not that that is observable phenomena (which is what science deals with...)
But that is a can of worms I'm sure no one wants me to open :)  Don't worry,
I won't.

--Ryan