 Off-Topic / Debate / 9719
Re: Does God have a name for God?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 13:58:04 GMT

Robert Bevens wrote:
On a some what interesting side note, I'd just like to know, who
exactly asked Jesus to die for our sins?  I mean hypothetically
speaking let's say your religion is correct, Jesus died for our sins,
etc, etc.  I personally, feel that's wrong.  I am responsible for
every "bad" or negative thing I do in my life and I certainly would
NEVER hesitate to take full responsibility for what I've done, and if
that means burning in hell because that's how some deity views things,
well, so be it.  I personally would see it as rather ironic and would
burn in hell as a true martyr for mankind.  I can think of no greater
glory, in your hypothesis of how the universe works anyhow.  : )

Robert

Well, no one asked Jesus to die for us.  As you said, Robert, we each
deserve to die for our own sins.  God could have let us all die and not sent
His Son.  But God is a *loving* God, and he wanted us to be able to live
with Him forever in Heaven, not burn in hell to pay for our own sins.

Now you could ask, if God can do anything, then why didn't he simply excuse
our sin and let us into heaven anyway?  The answer is that God is also
demands justice.  God in his nature is loving and just; he can't go against
his nature (kind of like how we are sinful by nature and can't be perfect).

Therefore, God decided to send His own perfect Son to pay the penalty for
our sin.  Yes, each one of us could pay for his own sins by dying, but then
we would be separated from God.  However, the death of one perfect One could
redeem all of mankind to God, as many people who desire this.

This may seem like a very unfair thing.  It *isn't* fair that we can be
reconciled to God and be so blessed as to live with Him forever, but we CAN
if we want to!  God desires this.  It really doesn't matter if we think its
not fair.  God is willing to give us the benefit of having this unfairness
inflicted on Himself.  He loves us that much!