 Off-Topic / Debate / 9722
Re: Alien races
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 14:43:19 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ryan Farrington writes:

Think about this, the dinosaurs ruled the earth for 280 million years. Man,
that is homo sapiens, has only been around for about 40,000 years. When we
think in terms of these great spans of time, we realize that we are
relative newcomers.

Not that that is observable phenomena (which is what science deals with...)
But that is a can of worms I'm sure no one wants me to open :)

  Science indeed deals with observable phenomena, but it deals also with
phenomena that can be observed indirectly, be it through a particle
accelerator or through an examination of the fossil record.
  Just so I'm clear on your views, how old do you believe the Earth to be?

     Dave!