 Off-Topic / Debate / 9703
Re: Alien races
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 19:04:55 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ryan Farrington writes:
  All of this rhetoric aside, what happens to the doctrine of "no alien
races" if we actually do run into one of them?

Then the Bible will be proved false (which I believe won't happen... :) ).

The Bible was not written in Jesus' time. Actually, it was written several
hundred years later, so it should not be taken as an accurate, historical
account. We know in our own times that facts are twisted within days and
weeks, imagine how much information could be misrepresented after several
generations. I think the Bible is much more valuable as a book of lessons in
life that teach people how to get along and how to take care of the earth.
Too many times, people debate whether this or that truly happened rather
than what we can learn from the story.

Another problem is the Romanization of Christianity which I feel mixed up
many facts, stories and the image of Jesus. Think of the Roman celebrations
of winter and spring and how they were replaced with the birth and death of
Jesus. Historically, Jesus was likely born in the spring. The debate
continues on when Jesus really died, but I'm sure bunnies and chocolate eggs
have nothing to do with him. These are carry overs from the Roman
celebration of spring and fertility.

So, the Bible has many historical flaws already, it's more meaningful as a
moral compass.

I stand firmly by idea of life elsewhere, whether in the form of
intellectual beings or simple microbes. We have already found organic
evidence in meteors that have crashed to our planet. We've found water on
other planets in our solar system. We've even discovered planets around
other distant stars. I have no doubt that countless generations and
civilizations have risen and fallen on other planets in our galaxy and other
galaxies over the eons. Think about this, the dinosaurs ruled the earth for
280 million years. Man, that is homo sapiens, has only been around for about
40,000 years. When we think in terms of these great spans of time, we
realize that we are relative newcomers.

Dan