 Off-Topic / Debate / 9710
Re: Does God have a name for God?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 1 Apr 2001 09:06:29 GMT

On Sat, 31 Mar 2001 21:28:07 GMT, "Shiri Dori" <shirid@hotmail.com>
wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ryan Farrington writes:
Dave Schuler:
  You're setting yourself a larger task than I think is called for; the
existence of God isn't predicated on the necessity of that existence. • Lots
of things exist without being "needed," unless we're ascribing some
unguessable purpose behind them.  In that case, you're right--the argument
is longer than we probably want!  8^)

<nosarcasm>
What I meant was that I can't really prove the *existence* of God, but I can
prove that God *must exist* in order for anything else to exist.  But if no
one wants to hear it, that's okay.

<likewise nosarcasm>
With due respect, I must point out that smarter folks than you or I have been
debating this for millennia, so if it were indeed possible to prove that God
must exist, it would have been done long ago to everyone's satisfaction.

<nosarcasm here, either>

I think the issue is that God is an issue of *faith*. And faith alone. Maybe
it's just my opinion, but if God were to be *proven*, then the idea of God
would kinda... lose its power. For me at least. I do believe in God, in case
you're interested, but I didn't always. It's simply a matter of faith, of
"soulgrowth" (1), of who you are and what your set of beliefs are. God
cannot - and should not be able to be - proven or disproven.

Ahhh but you fail to see WHY people debate the subject.  Part of what
faith is, is finding common ground with your fellow man.  I mean when
you really get down to it how many religions of 2 members or less do
you know of?  There is a basic equation to it all.  Man assumes he
exists, off that assumption he starts assuming other things, such as
death is wrong, then redefines his assumptions, such as killing in
self defense is okay, abortion is not okay, the death penalty is okay,
murdering for fun is not okay, etc, etc, man then feels isolated and
alone because he alienates himself with his complex intricate
assumptions, doesn't know how to relate to others on a whole, turns to
religion, finds solace at first, but something is still missing, so
they keep breaking it down, sorta starting at religion and working
down through the assumptions looking for others who share in most of
them.  The reason people bring up religion here is that they want to
find people who like Lego's and also share in their own personal
beliefs.  They're looking for a special type of connection, one that
may not even exist.  Religion is simply a major primer in identifying
similar individuals to yourself.  The problem comes when there is
opposition, especially inside a shared interest, an interest which is
probably dear to most of the people here in a rather unique and
special way.  That's one of the reasons people here will work so hard
not only to find others who share in their certain religion,
lifestyle, etc, but they will also go to some degree to try and
convince others to believe what they believe.  Most people are flat
out wrong when they think religion is all about God, an afterlife,
etc, etc, and most who do are usually in denial.  Faith in most cases
is simply a way of understanding yourself in relation to the world
around you.

Robert