 Off-Topic / Debate / 9693
Re: Does God have a name for God?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 19:30:37 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ryan Farrington writes:

The stuff you mention are still names given by man to this 'being' many • call
God.

I would have to first prove the necessity of the existence of God before I
could address whether the Bible is true or not...but that's a long topic
that I would be happy to discuss if you want.

  You're setting yourself a larger task than I think is called for; the
existence of God isn't predicated on the necessity of that existence.  Lots
of things exist without being "needed," unless we're ascribing some
unguessable purpose behind them.  In that case, you're right--the argument
is longer than we probably want!  8^)

The Word of God excludes the possibilities of an alien race.  It is kind of
a long issue that gets into doctrine, but if you would like to hear about
it, I can tell you.

  Does it?  I'm not trying to be silly; if the term "man" (ie: that which is
created in His image) indicates the capacity for Grace and/or salvation, I
see no reason to conclude that alien races do not exist.  Further, the
"Earth" of Genesis may refer to "inhabitable space."  For that matter,
doesn't one of the Gospels (or several of them) indicate that Christ
departed for other lands to spread the Word?  Why must these "lands" mean
nations?
  All of this rhetoric aside, what happens to the doctrine of "no alien
races" if we actually do run into one of them?

There must be One Truth about everything.  There must have been one way that
things came into being, or we would not be here.  If, for example what I
believe is indeed true, then all men are indeed sinful.  If what someone
else believes is indeed true (e.g. evolution), then no one can be considered
sinful.  (I don't know if this paragraph made sense, but it is a difficult
concept for me to put into words.)

  You're doing all right.  Indeed, if (since?) life has arisen to its
current forms by evolution rather than divine creation, then sin has no
meaning, since it is inherently an offence against God.  That's not to say
morality cannot exist; Kant, among others, has demonstrated the feasiblity
of morality in the absence of an absolute creator.

      Dave!