 Off-Topic / Debate / 9662
Re: Does God have a name for God?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 15:29:15 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Buiting writes:

Heh, interesting website because all 'truths' are quoted from a man-made
book and blindly claims that the book tells the truth. I have never learned
to take the texts written in the Bible this literally.

The stuff you mention are still names given by man to this 'being' many • call
God.

I would have to first prove the necessity of the existence of God before I
could address whether the Bible is true or not...but that's a long topic
that I would be happy to discuss if you want.

I was wondering if you could answer me this hypothesis:
You say that God created everything, the stars, planets and life...
What if man and an alien race encounter, and the aliens have a completely
different kind of religion (including their own creation-theory). Would you
be so arrogant to tell them that they are wrong? What proof would you give • them?
Given the fact that the universe is so mindbogglingly huge (and then some)
there could be some huge amount of alien civilisations out there, so what
proof is there that a group (less than 30% of Earth's population) are the
ones in the universe that are right?

The Word of God excludes the possibilities of an alien race.  It is kind of
a long issue that gets into doctrine, but if you would like to hear about
it, I can tell you.

I am asking this because of this text in the TruthFAQ:
"Why is Christianity different than other religions"
You claim that there is only one god and the others are "not the true God"
as backup for this claim you quote texts from a book written by the
followers of this god. People who do not believe in this one true God are
considered sinful?

It is not only people who do not believe in God who are sinful.  According
to the Bible, everyone is, *including me* and all who do believe in God.

I feel everyone is free to believe in whatever religion (or none) they feel
is right for them, I feel it as offensive to tell other people that they're
sinful because they don't believe in the same religion as you do.

-Frank

I concur that everyone is entitled to believe what they want.  And I am not
saying that their not-believing what I believe, makes them sinful.

There must be One Truth about everything.  There must have been one way that
things came into being, or we would not be here.  If, for example what I
believe is indeed true, then all men are indeed sinful.  If what someone
else believes is indeed true (e.g. evolution), then no one can be considered
sinful.  (I don't know if this paragraph made sense, but it is a difficult
concept for me to put into words.)

Best regards,
--Ryan <><