 Off-Topic / Debate / 9614
Re: Quick Poll - Kyoto
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 15:37:34 GMT

Quick Poll - Kyoto

What is the feeling in the US/elsewhere regarding W's back tracking on
Kyoto? The line taken by the "green" lobby in the UK is that he is not brave
enough to shoulder the economics of the situation. Is it as simple as that?

Simpler.

Kyoto is a bad idea.

I am not sure I agree. Kyoto provided a framework for the worlds biggest
polluters to reduce their polluting output. If you think it is not as good
as it could be as it focuses on 40 or so industrialised economies - but
ignores the developing economies - I'd agree to a certain extent.{1} Despite
that, I can't see how it is "bad".

I suppose a good question here is how should we view “the environment”; as
luxury or a necessity?

Scott A

{1}However, I'd also point out that a good deal of the companies exploiting
the developing world are "western" owned.

The one who wasn't brave was Clinton for not saying so.
And I'll happily take my lumps from greens for that view.

A UK  media report can be read here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1248000/1248278.stm

Scott A