 Off-Topic / Debate / 95
Re: English phrase
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 02:49:24 GMT

cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley) writes:

Eric Brok <brok@fcjsvc.hvu.nl> wrote:
Here's a *really* off-topic question for native English speakers:

What does the buzz phrase 'plain vanilla computer' exactly mean?
A very good (everybody *likes* vanilla) computer or a very boring
(*everybody* likes vanilla) computer?

I don't think it has to have positive or negative connotations to most
people.  It's just plain.  Normal.  Maybe boring, maybe just nothing
"special" about it.

Yeah, I think it means "no frills" or "no extras added yet."  Like an
undecorated 9"x13" pan cake instead of a wedding cake.  Or a 2x4 brick
instead of a BURP.  Simple but not necessarily bad.

Like vanilla ice cream.  Yeah, it's good, but it isn't fudge ripple.

Mmmm, great example.  Saw, how about that Ben & Jerry's flavor with vanilla
ice cream and caramel and chocolate covered somethingorothers?  Yeow!  :)

One thing vanilla that I like more than chocolate is vanilla junkfood
pudding -- the ones in the little square lunchbox containers.  Powered
stuff?--nope, doesn't cut it.  Gotta be Snack Pak or some other junk brand.
:)

Another vanilla thing I like is vanilla foofoo (flavored) coffee.  Sometimes
mixed with ameretto foofoo coffee, or sometimes vanilla + Irish creme +
hazelnut + almond + chocolate for the Ultimate Foofoo Blend from God!

--Todd