 Off-Topic / Debate / 91
Re: English phrase
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 18:57:35 GMT

Eric Brok writes:
What does the buzz phrase 'plain vanilla computer' exactly mean?
A very good (everybody *likes* vanilla) computer or a very boring
(*everybody* likes vanilla) computer?

I *love* vanilla.  The stonger the better.

The way I understand it, the term just means just "plain", and whether it's
boring or not is derived from its context.  For example, for most males a
"plain vanilla Hugh Grant movie" would probably be a bore-fest, but a "plain
vanilla Arnold Schwarzeneger movie" would involve quite a few
testosterone-driven obliterations.  Preferrably with huge gasoline fireballs.
:-,

I would guess that a "plain vanilla" computer would be the boring type, as the
industry seems to be driven by a "bigger is better" mentality.

Cheers,
- Sproat