 Off-Topic / Debate / 93
Re: English phrase
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 22:23:15 GMT

Eric Brok writes:
What does the buzz phrase 'plain vanilla computer' exactly mean?
A very good (everybody *likes* vanilla) computer or a very boring
(*everybody* likes vanilla) computer?

<ramble>
Well, I do like vanilla so don't get me wrong.

It means no fancy features. It's an ice cream metaphor comparing plain vanilla
to some other more complicated flavor like jamocha almond fudge or rocky road.
Yet a computer that is plain today was rocket science yesterday, so it's
probably a saying that retailers use to appeal to those who know relatively
little about computers. "What I want is really just a basic computer" is what
I've heard before from folks who have not previously owned one. Due to lack
of experience, but not necessarily intelligence, such folks that want such a
machine don't really know what they're saying.

I've seen the same idea behind choosing color for paint and carpet: "I just
want a basic color that looks okay." Well, such a basic color as yellow (in
it's pure form) is bound to have some sort of undesired effect, especially in a
corporate office. So to try and please everyone, people came up with the
color beige (yawn). And elevator music (oh yeah, this song AGAIN...). And
"vanilla" (I've had this before, no surprises here).

Interestingly enough, some of those same folks are surprised when they try to
run some graphics-intensive program, like a new game, and their plain-vanilla
machine runs slowly or with mediochre results.
</ramble>

-Tom McD.
tfn, radiotitan@yahoo.com