 Off-Topic / Debate / 9412
Re: Is Bionicle violence?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 21:09:26 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mark Sandlin writes:
in article G8w4Ir.J6D@lugnet.com, Daniel Jassim wrote:

Were the teen gunmen in Colombine spelling?) rich or poor?

I'm not sure if that has as much to do with it as the situation they were
in. When I was in high school, I was squarely in the NERD category. The
Athletes and the Beautiful People made fun of me and my friends all the
time, in any situation or class. Perhaps the Columbine shooters were not
able to withstand the continual taunts and insults. The Popular People in
high school were some of the cruelest people I have ever encountered... and
they never let up. They made fun of me and my friends all the time. People
can crack under that kind of pressure. Still, I managed to find some sort of
equilibrium and cast off the insecurities the popular kids may have
projected onto me.

However, had I not been a member of my own social group, it would have been
quite possible for me to have done the same thing. I knew where my stepdad
hid the key to the gun safe. I knew how to use a gun, from trips to the
shooting range. It's kind of frightening when I think about it.

But I grew up watching violent TV shows and movies, and playing with GI-Joe
action figures. And yet, I'm a very gentle and nonviolent person. Is it some
innate quality that makes me this way? Or is it my upbringing?

Mark,

It seems we had similar upbringing. I was a NERD in school and got the same
taunts from the Beautiful People. I had a close circle of friends, which
probably helped. My father actually collected guns (and other weapons) and kept
them all in a (very secure) room built specially, and I knew where the key was
(though dad thought I didn't). I never shared his passion, and since he died,
the collection was split up & sold, but I had the same frightening thoughts
after the Port Arthur massacre (about 1 hour from where I lived at the time),
even though the perpetrator was significantly older.

Why did I not grow up like that? I don't know. But I do know it began young - I
had no interest in dad's guns as young as I can remember - I preferred my Lego
& model trains. Occasionally I get the urge to hurt people, but these urges
have decreased significantly since I sold my car - maybe driving in peak hour
traffic has something to do with violence? Who knows....

ROSCO