 Off-Topic / Debate / 9465
Re: Is Bionicle violence?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 03:57:47 GMT

Mike Horvath wrote:

I don't think boys are wired for violence.  It's just that boys are bigger,
so they're better at it (those teenage years, maybe, are a bit chaotic,
though).  These days, though, women have access to guns, military, etc., and
often can be quite bigger than guys.  Here at the university I look kinda
puny and oft am intimidated by these girls.  So, I think it's all cultural.
Is that what you mean by wired?

Marvin Harris has an interesting theory for why human culture has
cultured men to be warriors and women to stay home and watch the kids.
His theory is that it's ultimately a population control measure, not
because wars kill people off (they really don't affect the population
that much), but because it makes boys more desirable than girls, and
thus there is a subtle tendency to take just a little bit better care of
boys than girls, so fewer girls grow up (this factor is extremely
non-subtle in certain cultures which have  especially great population
pressures, just take a look at India and China - in fact, I would take
the things that go on in these countries as pretty strong evidence of
this theory).

I think that there have been studies which show that when women fight,
they are actually much more brutal than men. This is actually probably
actually a natural tendency, in that women have much more at stake in
protecting their children (whether directly or indirectly). Beyond just
the maternal bonds, for mammals, it is much more expensive for a female
to produce offspring than for a male. In fact, the maternal bond
probably is actually more due to this greater investment than anything
else.

Frank