 Off-Topic / Debate / 9347
Re: A question about this creationism/evolution debate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 14:37:54 GMT

Christopher Tracey wrote:

There is no conflict that I can between evolutionary theory and
religious beliefs.

Unless you believe the Bible.  The Bible tells VERY clearly how and when
earth was created, and if you don't believe that then you don't have to
believe anything else the Bible says. There are multiple conflicts
between the Bible and the Evolutionary theory.  The whole creationism
debate is about 98% based on information found in the first book,
Genesis.  Almost every other book in the Bible refers to Genesis at some
point.  If you don't believe Genesis then why should you believe
anything else the Bible has to say?  The Bible clearly states that God
created everything in 6 days (the 7th a day of rest) and if we follow
Bible timeline we can infer that it happened around 6000 years ago
(possibly as much as 10000, although most Creationists have settled the
most probable figure at 6000).  You're saying Evolution fits this
criteria?  I doubt it.  (1)For more info specifically on this subject
and why some "combination" theories are invalid, see here:
http://www.christiananswers.net/creation/menu-bible.html#supposedbiblescienceconflicts

My methodist minister father-in-law believes in
evolution.  The Presbyterian minister that married my wife and I has a
collection of fossils in his church office along with copies of books by
SJ Gould (He also has one of those Darwin Fish stickers on his car :).

My father is a Baptist minister, and he was probably one of the most
vocal against Evolution in the small town where we lived for the past
~10 years or so....just because someones a minister doesn't mean I think
they're automatically correct.....ministers are just people (although it
is often true that they're good sources of Biblical knowledge and
guidance).

(BTW, I'm not sure if you meant to imply anything by this or not, but a
collection of fossils doesn't necessarily mean that someone probably
believes in Evolution - Creationists have nothing against fossils,
rather, believe that they are excellent evidence for Creation (as
pointed out in previous threads))

(1) Also see a previous thread I think called "Why not both?"

--
-TiM
NB, CA