 Off-Topic / Debate / 9359
Re: A question about this creationism/evolution debate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 19:38:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Culberson writes:
Christopher Tracey wrote:

There is no conflict that I can [see] between evolutionary theory and
religious beliefs.

Unless you believe the Bible.  The Bible tells VERY clearly how and when
earth was created, and if you don't believe that then you don't have to
believe anything else the Bible says.

   Here's the point--literal interpretation.  Most evolutionary
   scientists and cosmologists are Christians, and quite a few of
   my acquaintance are deeply religious.  The argument isn't between
   religion and evolution, as much as Young-Earth Creationists would
   like it to be, but it's between their movement and a reified image
   of all evolution as atheistic and materialistic.  (In fairness,
   there are some folks who incorporate evolution into their world-
   view for that reason, but then their philosophy is *using* it, not
   embodying it.)

   Not believing an account literally does not make it false--that
   would be placing our modern understanding of text and truth on
   a document canonized over 2200 years ago, and first penned in
   a language that is imperfectly known.  And who says that allegory
   isn't truth, or that believing that the oldest parts of the OT
   are allegorical--who are we to say how God spoke before Man, or
   what He meant?--and that the rest and the NT are factual as
   understood by those who lived it?

   By the way, I must disagree that Genesis is clear.  It's clear
   only from a theological and "layman's" standpoint.  *Scientifically*,
   it's clear as mud and about as comprehensive as a book-flap quote.

There are multiple conflicts
between the Bible and the Evolutionary theory.  The whole creationism
debate is about 98% based on information found in the first book,
Genesis.  Almost every other book in the Bible refers to Genesis at some
point.  If you don't believe Genesis then why should you believe
anything else the Bible has to say?  The Bible clearly states that God
created everything in 6 days (the 7th a day of rest) and if we follow
Bible timeline we can infer that it happened around 6000 years ago
(possibly as much as 10000, although most Creationists have settled the
most probable figure at 6000).  You're saying Evolution fits this
criteria?  I doubt it.  (1)For more info specifically on this subject
and why some "combination" theories are invalid, see here:
http://www.christiananswers.net/creation/menu-bible.html#supposedbiblescienceconflicts

   In the interests of equal time:

   http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-god.html (for compatibility)
   http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/interpretations.html (for how Genesis
            has been worked out; fair warning, some interpretations
            deny biblical inerrancy, which is a central tenet to YEC and
            to the Fundamentalist Christianity from which it hails)
   http://www.best.com/~atta/what.htm#continuum (My favourite, the
            "Creation-Evolution Continuum," which shows that the
            picture is not Manichaean but rather gradated, from atheist
            materialists at one extreme to biblical Geocentrists at
            the other)

   I'll take a look at christiananswers.net later--it appears to
   have crashed sometime in the last hour, always a bad thing on
   the weekend because some folks don't come back until Monday!  :(

My methodist minister father-in-law believes in
evolution.  The Presbyterian minister that married my wife and I has a
collection of fossils in his church office along with copies of books by
SJ Gould (He also has one of those Darwin Fish stickers on his car :).

   Watch out--the loving, kind religious folk of Georgia vandalized
   a colleague's car for having one of those on it!  I have yet to
   see the opposite happen to an Alpha-festooned car...even in Boston.
   (heh)

My father is a Baptist minister, and he was probably one of the most
vocal against Evolution in the small town where we lived for the past
~10 years or so....just because someones a minister doesn't mean I think
they're automatically correct.....ministers are just people (although it
is often true that they're good sources of Biblical knowledge and
guidance).

   The denominational difference explains a lot with regard to
   the differing positions of the two, though--I'd bet that it
   extends to theological matters as well as the issue of science.
   I agree, however, being a minister does not automatically make
   one's opinions on science correct (just as a scientist's take
   on theology is not necessarily correct).

   I hope I've stayed sufficiently on-topic for the original poster!

   best,

   LFB

   n.b.: I inserted the [see] in the original msg text wayyy up
         top.