 Off-Topic / Debate / 8604
Re: My Gun Control Rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 15:54:17 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mark Sandlin writes:
James Powell at wx732@freenet.victoria.bc.ca wrote:

Even traveling through some parts of the US that
I have been warned about (Seattle, LA), I have NEVER felt afraid enough to be
worried that I was not armed.

You've been warned about Seattle? Really?

What have people warned you about?

I'm not James, of course, but I was warned about being in downtown Seattle (
by the fish market, the area where the monorail lets out, etc) late at
night. I happened to *be* downtown late at night soon after, and there were
a lot of people selling access to various victimless crimes, some of whom
I'd rather my daughter wouldn't propose as a potential suitor, but mostly
harmless in appearance. Still, I did feel a bit less safe and did keep my
eyes about me, did move with purpose, did avoid gawking, all the stuff that
they say to do.

I happened to strike up a conversation with two jackbooted(1) police
officers who said that their impression was that as long as you weren't
perceived as a disgruntled customer or competitor, the enterpreneurs would
leave you alone.  Right after I talked to them, they started hassling an
otherwise apparently upright citizen for crossing the street against a light
so I dunno how much veracity I'd give them.

But I thought Seattle, on the whole, was safer than many other cities. All
cities have better and worse parts. There are areas in GR (South Division
St. for example) that I would not go to unless I was carrying. There are
areas in NYC I stay out of completely. There are areas in London I was
explicitly warned away from, and I'm not talking about the high tourist,
high pickpocket areas like Covent Garden, etc, but more the southeastern
suburbs where the police do an especially poor job of keeping people safe.

I enjoy seeing the sights. But if you go to a strange city, keep your wits
about you. That's good advice even at home, of course.

1 - as in, that's what they were wearing, honest. Great big huge brown
leather boots that went to their knees and were outside their pants,
nightsticks, riot helmets, and guns.

++Lar