 Off-Topic / Debate / 8607
Re: My Gun Control Rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 16:36:25 GMT

But I thought Seattle, on the whole, was safer than many other cities. All
cities have better and worse parts. There are areas in GR (South Division
St. for example) that I would not go to unless I was carrying. There are
areas in NYC I stay out of completely. There are areas in London I was
explicitly warned away from, and I'm not talking about the high tourist,
high pickpocket areas like Covent Garden, etc, but more the southeastern
suburbs

I really would be interested in your justification for making the above
comments, or was it just based on ill-informed rumour? If you can show that
a UK crime "hot spot" is even comparable to one in your land, I truly will
be enlightened. The problem is that fear of crime is 99% perception, and
very little to do with fact... at least in my neck of the woods. Crime is
always "too high" and almost every city has its own "bad area" as far as its
residents are concerned. Do you have some sort of measure for measuring
between cities/countries?

where the police do an especially poor job of keeping people safe.

Do you really think it is as simple as that?

Scott A