 Off-Topic / Debate / 8609
Re: My Gun Control Rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 17:20:32 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mark Sandlin writes:
James Powell at wx732@freenet.victoria.bc.ca wrote:

Even traveling through some parts of the US that
I have been warned about (Seattle, LA), I have NEVER felt afraid enough to be
worried that I was not armed.

You've been warned about Seattle? Really?

What have people warned you about?

I happened to strike up a conversation with two jackbooted(1) police
officers who said that their impression was that as long as you weren't
perceived as a disgruntled customer or competitor, the enterpreneurs would
leave you alone.  Right after I talked to them, they started hassling an
otherwise apparently upright citizen for crossing the street against a light
so I dunno how much veracity I'd give them.

Being a Puget Sound native (My home addresses in my lifetime have been Oak
Harbor, Seattle, or Bellingham) I can tell you that jaywalking is practicly
a capital offense in Seattle.  OK, maybe not that bad.  How did the old joke
go, getting caught jaywalking was grounds for loss of your Nordstroms card.
Something like that.  8-)  Really though, you can be in downtown Seattle at
3 in the morning, not a car in sight and you'll still see people waiting for
the light to change to cross the street.  It's one of those "things" that
all the natives know, but make no sense to the world at large.

Jason