 Off-Topic / Debate / 8545
Re: My Gun Control Rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 03:18:50 GMT

Chris said:
Guns are designed to sell.

The gun I bought was designed to kill people, and it sold well because of
that, not the other way round.

The gun manufacturer designed it to appeal to people with some cash.  So that
they would give the cash to the manufacturer.  Whether or not the gun kills
people, looks pretty, fires blanks only, or can be used as a hammer in a pinch
doesn't matter to the manufacturer beyond the dollars that will be the outcome
of their sales.

You bought it because it would kill.  They made it because it would sell.

May be a matter of semantics, I guess.

When GM designs a car, do they design it to be a good car, or to sell the
units needed to hit the IRR? Er, bad example. Who knows what moves GM these
days, it's embarrassing that they're HQed in the state of Michigan. Make
that Toyota...

When I buy a Toyota, do I buy it help Toyota hit their IRR or to be a good
example of the "car nature"?

Yes, Chris, you're right.

Toyota makes cars to make money. I buy cars to use them as cars. Those ARE
different things.

But if Toyota starts making cars that sell well but aren't good cars, in the
long run they will suffer (hey, that's what happened to GM! They made
splashy junk and sold it to people who should have known better but got
burned at least once), because people, at least informed consumers in a free
or relatively free market who can freely choose among alternatives and in
which the government isn't subsidising some manufacturers, will turn against
them and go where they can get *good* cars.

Hey, this has something to do with Lego. Lego may not be serving the same
market that we think they should be serving.

++Lar