 Off-Topic / Debate / 8544
Re: My Gun Control Rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 03:05:09 GMT

Mostly agree with this post, with one nuance...

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Powell writes:

First, I really (really!) meant consumer firearms.  Military contract is a bit
different.

Now, the purpose (if you mean _my_ purpose) when I travel with a concealed
firearm is not to kill people.  It is to defend myself.  I have defended • myself
(my property actually) with a firearm, but I have never shot anyone.

Chris

If you aim a gun at me, (as my basic training would say), you'd better have a
dammed good reason for wanting to kill me-or have you never had formal
firearms training?

If you aim at someone, then the ONLY possible reason is that you intend to try
and kill them.

Nothing else, but to try and kill them.

Well, some would argue that it *is* possible to "aim to wound", but I think
you need to be a far better shot to pull that off. (unless you use rubber
bullets, which often don't work anyway) However:
1) you're still intending to project force
2) you may end up killing anyway
3) I think it muddies your thinking to try to do this. I never do. I aim for
the chest. Bigger target.

++Lar