 Off-Topic / Debate / 8562
Re: My Gun Control Rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 13:38:01 GMT

Toyota makes cars to make money. I buy cars to use them as cars. Those ARE
different things.

But if Toyota starts making cars that sell well but aren't good cars, in the
long run they will suffer, because people, at least informed consumers in a • free
or relatively free market who can freely choose among alternatives and in
which the government isn't subsidising some manufacturers, will turn against
them and go where they can get *good* cars.

But look at the little Korean companies and compare those to Toyota.  Hyundai's
sell.  They are made at significantly lower quality levels, but still they
sell.  Why?  Because the niche that they market to wants Toyotas but can only
afford 2/3 (or less) the price of a Toyota.

Toyota and Hyundai are both making cars that sell, but they aren't both making
the best consumer vehicle on the market.

There are niches in firearms too.  And crappy guns sell for a variety of
reasons.  And all of this is good.

Chris