 Off-Topic / Debate / 8563
Re: My Gun Control Rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 13:44:08 GMT

Mostly agree so mostly snipped.

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bill Farkas writes:

And I believe Lar bought his weapon for self defense, not because he's a
maniac who desires to kill people. If someone dies in the act of him
defending himself and his, that is a by-product, and not his intent. I know
he boasted of buying it to kill but, no rational human being who has ever
had the horrible misfortune of having been in a situation where his actions
have caused the demise of another human being will spout bluster or bravado
about such an act. Anyone who does is lying. And, God forbid, if Lar should
find himself in such a situation he would change his tone (I hope).

Matter of semantics?

I'm not a good enough bluffer to use a realistic toy in a standoff, so I
bought something that's capable of killing, not just a BB gun or pea
shooter. I need to have the real thing behind my words

I'm not a good enough shot with a snub nosed handgun to hit someone in the
arm at other than point blank range. So I aim for the chest, it's a bigger
target. That means I aim to kill. Besides, I've said before that in the
judicial climate prevalent in the US, you're better off making sure your
burglar is dead, so you can't be sued. I'd prefer that were not the case but
until then, if the first shot didn't stop my assailant cold, I would shoot
again. I don't think I'd fill his corpse with lead though. He may have
assistants and I'd rather save the ammo.

I'm a braggart, it's true, so I am of course proud of my skills with this
tool, just as I am proud of my skills with any other tool that I am
proficient with. That doesn't mean that I would relish or enjoy using it.
I'm good at digging ditches too but that doesn't mean I like digging them or
that I seek out opportunities to do so.

ANY use of force, even force that is in response to initiation of force, is
a failure of reason (on the initiator's part), and therefore unfortunate and
tragic... because it's a waste of potential and a waste of resources.

Who can say what would happen in a real situation though? I'm fortunate not
to have found out the limits to my resolve and ability.

++Lar