 Off-Topic / Debate / 846
Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 19:42:42 GMT

Ed Jones wrote:

OK, who decides who needs to be armed?  By what criteria?  And armed to what
extent?

Self selected. By the criteria of being able to afford it. To whatever
extent it takes. (personally I want star trek stunners too, and I'd put
up some VC to get them if I had any)

FYI, check your facts - New York's "tough anti gun laws" have resulted in a
direct reduction of crime, a direct reduction of murder and a direct reduction
of accidental death from guns.  New York's pre capita murder rate has been
lower than most other cities for decades.

Check yours. The reduction in violent crimes seems mostly traceable to a
change from D to R in the mayor's mansion, Dinkins didn't do squat.
Unfortunately, since I don't like R any better than D, politically.

Gun laws have little to do with it except by interfering. Let's talk
about violent crime reduction in FL since concealed carry was forced
through.. that's a much more interesting and relevant statistic. But you
don't buy that stat any more than I buy your stats.

Remember, you're the guy that thought Know Your Customer was a good
idea. Still like you as a person, but you've been brainwashed somewhere
along the way so I tend to discount your political thinking.

While murder certainly is a violent crime, its not the only one, or even
the most important one (not to the victim, but to society as a whole...
it certainly sucks for the victim), since muggings and robberies happen
a lot more. So murder stats are interesting but not the whole story. NYC
IS a violent city.

I really have to stop. I just can't help it though. This debate changes
no ones' opinion and just gets everyone annoyed. Let's debate about why
TLG is wrong headed to increase the level of violence enablement in
their toys instead. Toy guns are much more evil than real ones.

FDIC Know your Customer is wounded, thanks to you, but not dead...
See http://www.defendyourprivacy.com for details
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.