 Off-Topic / Debate / 852
851  |  853
Subject:
Popular society (Was: New Web Page)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 20:43:58 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
[talking to Ed "Boxer" Jones]
Still like you as a person [...]

Plus, he makes really really really cool Castle sets.

Let's debate about why
TLG is wrong headed to increase the level of violence enablement in
their toys instead. Toy guns are much more evil than real ones.

Sure, they're evil.

But...  Why is everyone scrambling to go see Star Wars?  Why is everyone
scrambling to buy the toys?  To see the makeup jobs?  To explore brave new
possibilities for implementing lunchbox decorations?

Nope -- it's to have a front-row seat to witnes a depiction of a war.  A war
complete with guns, killing machines, weapons of destruction, popular
tyrants, impotent fury, betrayal, hatreds, mostly bloodless mass
atrocities...  Maybe a moral or two, maybe.  In the name of entertainment.
And it's going to be a best-seller.  Probably, everyone on this newsgroup
will actually pay cold hard cash to go see it.  And to read about it.  And
to snicker about it.  And to at least contemplate buying the toys with toy
guns promoting it.

Here's my point:  Popular society is an irrational, violent place.  You, I,
we all live in it, and it envelops us, stays bigger than us.  Understanding
that makes the entire gun debate pointless.

Cheers,
- jsproat

May the Force be with y'all.