 Off-Topic / Debate / 856
Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 20:53:32 GMT

Check yours. The reduction in violent crimes seems mostly traceable to a
change from D to R in the mayor's mansion, Dinkins didn't do squat.
Unfortunately, since I don't like R any better than D, politically.

The changes were brought about by initiatives begun during the Koch and Dinkins
administrations - Rudy is just taking credit for it all.

FYI - I like D infinitely better than R, but that's another subject (and if you
really want to talk nasty politics, my "sister-in-law" is married to Roger
Ailes brother - the stories I could tell).

Remember, you're the guy that thought Know Your Customer was a good
idea. Still like you as a person, but you've been brainwashed somewhere
along the way so I tend to discount your political thinking.

Never said it was a good idea, simply stated the intent that it had on and for
brokerage firms.

However, because my opinions, in some cases, disagree with yours I am
brainwashed??

While murder certainly is a violent crime, its not the only one, or even
the most important one (not to the victim, but to society as a whole...
it certainly sucks for the victim), since muggings and robberies happen
a lot more. So murder stats are interesting but not the whole story. NYC
IS a violent city.

FYI, crime in NY has gone down, check your stats.  I live here and see the
difference.  Touristry is up because of lower crime statistics.  You can view
these statistics at the link below:

http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/crime/newyork/newyork.html

from 1993-1997:
Murder - down 60% (in 1997 - 770 people were murdered out of a population of
7,320,477 - 1 in 10,000 )
Rape - down 23%
Robbery - down 48%
Assault - down 30%
Burglery - down 45%
Larceny - down 33%
Vehicle theft - down 54%

These are real numbers, not an opinion!!!  Visit the site and do the math.