 Off-Topic / Debate / 858
Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 21:36:58 GMT

Ed Jones wrote:

The changes were brought about by initiatives begun during the
Koch and Dinkins administrations - Rudy is just taking credit
for it all.

Debatable. But debating it puts me in an R defending position. No
thanks, I'll pass. Politicians would take credit for the sun rising if
they could.

FYI - I like D infinitely better than R, but that's another subject
(and if you really want to talk nasty politics, my "sister-in-law"
is married to Roger Ailes brother - the stories I could tell).

No argument, R & D are both nasty. I just hope Carville and Matalin
never have kids, those kids may be Satan incarnate...

Side point, why the quotes on sister in law? If you have chosen a life
partner, it's rather bogus and intrusive of the government to say that
you can't marry them just because they happen to be of a gender the
government doesn't sanctify, don't you think? Marriage is a contract
between individuals and the government has no place moralising about
which individuals (or how many) can enter into it. But I digress.
(you're free to agree if you wish, no need to disagree about everything,
after all)

Remember, you're the guy that thought Know Your Customer was a good
idea. Still like you as a person, but you've been brainwashed somewhere
along the way so I tend to discount your political thinking.

Never said it was a good idea, simply stated the intent that it had on and for
brokerage firms.

Point taken that you did not say it was a good idea, sorry for the
misquote.

However, as I pointed out in my email to you at the time, it has NO
effect on brokerages, you have it confused with a different, less
perfidious, but still perfidious government privacy intrusion. Know your
customer is about banking.

However, because my opinions, in some cases, disagree with yours I am
brainwashed??

Not cause and effect, merely symptomatic. :-) Brainwashed may be a
little harsh. How about "you've bought the fuzzy logic and nonlogic put
out by HCI and others..."

While murder certainly is a violent crime, its not the only one, or even
the most important one (not to the victim, but to society as a whole...
it certainly sucks for the victim), since muggings and robberies happen
a lot more. So murder stats are interesting but not the whole story. NYC
IS a violent city.

FYI, crime in NY has gone down, check your stats.  I live here and see the
difference.  Touristry is up because of lower crime statistics.  You can view
these statistics at the link below:

http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/crime/newyork/newyork.html

from 1993-1997:
Murder - down 60% (in 1997 - 770 people were murdered out of a population of
7,320,477 - 1 in 10,000 )
Rape - down 23%
Robbery - down 48%
Assault - down 30%
Burglery - down 45%
Larceny - down 33%
Vehicle theft - down 54%

These are real numbers, not an opinion!!!  Visit the site and do the math.

OK, fair enough. (great news, by the way). But you haven't refuted the
assertion that NY is violent, though. Now show that gun control laws
were the causative factor for the decline. Then refute that concealed
carry was the causative factor for similar declines in FL.

Don't be a tourist in FL though, the bad guys have learned that tourists
are their only safe prey, they're not likely to be carrying.

FDIC Know your Customer is wounded, thanks to you, but not dead...
See http://www.defendyourprivacy.com for details
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.