 Off-Topic / Debate / 866
Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 15 May 1999 11:46:30 GMT

Ed Jones wrote:

The changes were brought about by initiatives begun during the
Koch and Dinkins administrations - Rudy is just taking credit
for it all.

Debatable. But debating it puts me in an R defending position. No
thanks, I'll pass. Politicians would take credit for the sun rising if
they could.

Just to name two of the initiatives - Koch and Dinkins added 1000s of police to
the force.  The return of beat cops in "problem" neighborhoods.

Side point, why the quotes on sister in law? If you have chosen a life
partner, it's rather bogus and intrusive of the government to say that
you can't marry them just because they happen to be of a gender the
government doesn't sanctify, don't you think? Marriage is a contract
between individuals and the government has no place moralising about
which individuals (or how many) can enter into it. But I digress.
(you're free to agree if you wish, no need to disagree about everything,
after all)

No need to disagree - the quotes are there simply to reinforce the fact that we
do not and currently cannot have a legally binding marriage - and are denied
the benefits of such a relationship.

Point taken that you did not say it was a good idea, sorry for the
misquote.

However, as I pointed out in my email to you at the time, it has NO
effect on brokerages, you have it confused with a different, less
perfidious, but still perfidious government privacy intrusion. Know your
customer is about banking.

Know Your Customer is about all transactions of amounts over a certain
amount - which is the lifeblood of a brokerage firm - it would have a major
impact of the industy which is why we were in the process of designing courses
for our traders/brokers to ensure that the tracking requirements were met.

OK, fair enough. (great news, by the way). But you haven't refuted the
assertion that NY is violent, though.

NY is not as violent as it was.  Per capita it is much less violence than
Detroit, Washington DC, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia and others (based on
additional stats from the link above).  Because its NYC, its violence gets much
mroe publicity than most other cities.  So, to people in Seattle and Iowa and
Oshkosh, 2 murders a day sounds totally horrific - but when you consider there
are over 7,000,000 people, 2 murders a day is barely a wake in the water.

But the point is that you make an example of NYC and violence that seems to be
based on nothing more than a correlation of opinions based on hearsay about
NYC.  There is violence in every city in America - New York is certainly not
the worst.

As to the correlation between anti-gun laws and the reduction of crime in NYC,
I can't find the exact date that those laws went into effect, but I recall
that they were during the end of the Koch administration.