 Off-Topic / Debate / 800
  Re: New Web Page

I should probably stay out of this but... Note that I don't personally own a gun. (...) The availability of guns is a factor in the recent school tragedies, but most of the tragedies would probably still have happened in some way (though probably (...) (25 years ago, 13-May-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: New Web Page

(...) Maybe (...) How so? This is the only one that I don't 'get' right off. (...) I really think these last two bullets are right on. Everything else stems from these, and I really think that the second to last is derivative of the last. Parents (...) (25 years ago, 13-May-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: New Web Page

(...) In that I think it leads people to want a solution to some problem NOW! This makes violence as a means to solve a problem more likely. It also creates higher stress which makes it more likely that someone will crack. (25 years ago, 13-May-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: New Web Page

Hi-- Frank, I hope you'll forgive my answering the previous post through yours. (...) Neither do I, Frank. But the *right* to own one is vital in the United States, and for more reason than weapons--it's a symbolic iteration of the democratic ideal (...) (25 years ago, 14-May-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: New Web Page

Great post. Sums up the arguments I was advancing pretty cogently. Mr L F Braun wrote: <snip> (25 years ago, 14-May-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: New Web Page

Mr L F Braun wrote: <snipped> WELL SAID! The only thing you didn't reference was Hitler's confiscation of guns as the precursor to WW2. -- Lee Jorgensen, Programmer/Analyst - Bankoe Systems, Inc. mailto:jorgensen@bankoe.moc <-- reverse moc (...) (25 years ago, 14-May-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: New Web Page

(...) If he did that, he would have lost the argument by default. Steve (25 years ago, 14-May-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Mention Hitler? You lose (was Re: New Web Page

(...) Right, that's why I didn't either. Wish the other side had brought it up first. <grin> (1) It's true, though. I worked it in via the Custer reference. Tyrants disarm populations. That's what they do. If you are living somewhere that is trying (...) (25 years ago, 14-May-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Mention Hitler? You lose (was Re: New Web Page

(...) Thanks for the kind words--I read that post anew with the benefit of sleep (I'd been up for about 20 hours when I typed that) and it's not as incoherent as I'd feared. And yeah, that was part of the reason for not talking about Hitler--after (...) (25 years ago, 15-May-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)