 Off-Topic / Debate / 804
Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 May 1999 15:17:00 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

The availability of guns is a factor in the recent school tragedies, but
most of the tragedies would probably still have happened in some way
(though probably with fewer casualties) without guns. The major
contributing problems I see:

- the promotion of violence in media

Maybe

- more importantly, the promotion of instant gratification

How so?  This is the only one that I don't 'get' right off.

- the fact that all too often marginalized kids are ignored and told to
"take it like a man"
- lack of parental involvement

I really think these last two bullets are right on.  Everything else
stems from these, and I really think that the second to last is
derivative of the last.  Parents are really ultimately responsible for
making their kids good people, and for standing up for them when they're
being oppressed.  It's a big daunting task when you have a job, and
hobbies, and only a little free time, but when you have kids, you sign
on for putting them as the number one priority.

--
Sincerely,

Christopher L. Weeks
central Missouri, USA