 Off-Topic / Debate / 803
Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 May 1999 15:11:15 GMT

John DiRienzo wrote:

  Good point, I think I will unsubscribe for awhile, since my view is
unmovable.

For the record, I think that my beliefs are subject to change, but
others have tried to convince me and it hasn't happened on this issue.

  Most gun legislation is pointless and "fails the innocent."  As long as
guns exist, which I suspect will be forever, people will own and use them.

This is the key practical point, as far as I see it.

It is unjust to allow one person to have a gun and another person not to
have a gun.

And this is the key ethical point which stems from the point above.  And
since both of these are immutable, how can it be argued?

Whether it is legal or
not, I will own a gun for the sole purpose of self protection.

It is legal and I'm sure always will be.  I don't think we'll see an
amendment to abolish any part of the bill of rights.

The NRA, although it is extreme,

That's funny, I think the NRA takes a fairly moderate stance, supporting
certain legislation such as background checks etc., that I do not.  I am
an NRA member (five years now) but I still think they make a lot of
concessions to the gun control factions.

It would be nice if I and the millions of
people fighting against gun legislation could do something better with their
money, like spend it on law enforcement, rather than protecting ourselves
from useless, detrimental legislation.

Why does law enforcement primarily deal with after-the-fact
repercussions, rather than preventative measures?  I know of several
instances in which potential future illegal actions were reported to
police and blown off because nothing had happened.  I see this as very strange.

I must say I fear my own government
more than any kook with a gun, but I suppose thats because I have a defense
for him.  Whereas my only defense against my government is the sound minds
of my countrymen, which is very unreassuring.

Exactly.

--
Sincerely,

Christopher L. Weeks