 Off-Topic / Debate / 7870
  Re: Critical Thinking

(...) Larry - your vehemous defence of asking to be left alone is admirable indeed. And you are certainly correct in that you are facing the consequences of your actions - I will actually support your doing so. But I would ask you this - If you knew (...) (24 years ago, 4-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Critical Thinking

(...) Vehement. So leave me alone already. This forum is not the time and not the place to prosetylise, a point you seem to be having difficulty grasping, and this thread was not started to discuss religion, so you're hijacking it. Knock it off. (...) (24 years ago, 4-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Vemon (was: critical thinking)

(...) Actually, here I was mixing vehement and vemonous. :-) (...) Odd - no one bothered you to reply, yet you did. So who's leaving who alone? I actually like talking about what interests me - I though you did too. I didn't hijack the thread (that (...) (24 years ago, 4-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Critical Thinking

(...) And THIS is where you should have ended the reply... (...) This makes me sick to my stomach, and furious, and I'm sure there are Christians who would agree with me. Shoving YOUR religion down someone else's throat when they don't want it is (...) (24 years ago, 5-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Critical Thinking

(...) I merely pointed out why people do what they do. I can't believe that by sharing motivations that I'm proselytizing. I'm not forcing anyone to agree with me. And, I, in no way, am telling someone even "how to" be a Christian. Help me out, how (...) (24 years ago, 5-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Critical Thinking

(...) Maybe you should stick to hanging about school crossings or drug rehab clinics. So non-believers are comparable to the drug-addicted and the immature, that's a fairly biased analogy. What if we compared Christians to schizophrenics, who hear (...) (24 years ago, 5-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Critical Thinking

(...) If someone has a completely adequate understanding of theology, and remains agnostic or atheist, IMHO it is pointless to continually badger them about the reality of God. Ultimately belief relies on faith, an irrational attribute that should (...) (24 years ago, 5-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Critical Thinking

(...) Simply because I draw metaphors, doesn't mean I find them comparable. Easy there. I'm drawing motivational analogies, not making comparisons. -Jon (24 years ago, 5-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Critical Thinking

(...) That's precisely the position I'm arguing against. Faith is not a blind irrational element. Faith is based on the seen and experienced. If I have confidence in an object - say a chair - to support my weight, I have faith in it. The faith is (...) (24 years ago, 5-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Critical Thinking

(...) I disagree. Faith, for me, is a subjective experience that only really makes sense to the individual. An individual's faith may be based in religious tradition or a community of worship, but ultimately belief depends on the individual. Unless (...) (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)