 Off-Topic / Debate / 7677
Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 09:03:09 GMT

John Neal wrote:

Eric McCarthy wrote:

John Neal wrote:

A Christian does good in response to God's love.  God loved us first and our
response is to reflect that love as best we can to others in our daily lives.
That is why Christians do good.  Why an atheist does is beyond me, but if anyone
knows, please do tell.

An atheist believes there is no God.  An atheist may have other beliefs,
such as "people are intrinsically good" or "I am intrinsically good."

Also, doing good as an atheist could be more self-rewarding than doing
good as a Christian.

Self-rewarding good-doing isn't by definition altruistic.

Earning brownie points to get into heaven is self-rewarding, so I guess you are saying
Christians are NEVER altruistic?

An atheist might think:  "Look at me.. I'm doing
good because I'm intrinsically good, whereas you're only doing good
because of the fear of hell."

Christians certainly don't do good for fear of hell.  Christianity 101: Saved by
Grace.  Nothing anyone can do can curry God's love-- it is unconditionally given.
Christians do good with joy in *response* to God's love.

Yet your god sends people to Hell.  "I love you, but go suffer for an eternity".  No
thanks.

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/