 Off-Topic / Debate / 761
Re: Terms and Conditions Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 22:11:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Simon Denscombe writes:
By using the term 'ill', you are implying that there is something wrong with
homosexuality, and by extension, homosexuals.  If you are not willing or
able to back up your statement with medical proof, then you are stating an
negative opinion about another person, without evidence to support your
conjecture.(1) Doesn't get much more defamatory than that.

Well I used the word ill - like someone with cerebal palsy for example -
couldn't
think of a better word to use.  There's nothing wrong with having
cerebal palsy
- it's not their fault.  The whole natural point of having sex is
reproduction or the possibility of it (contraception isn't 100% safe) -
with homosexuals this is impossible.

So?  The whole "natural" point of walking is to move effeciently across land.
Does that make people who walk around the block because they happen to enjoy
walking "ill"?

And "ill people...know it" is so nonsensical I won't even bother to pick it
apart.

Nonsensical - Conclusion that does not logically follow from their
premises.

Nope I don't think this conclusion is.

ill people want to get well they just don't know it"

OK.  Here's the dictonary definition from Websters:
Main Entry: 1want
Pronunciation: 'wont also 'wänt & 'w&nt
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Old Norse vanta; akin to Old English wan
deficient
Date: 13th century
intransitive senses
1 : to be needy or destitute
2 : to have or feel need <never wants for friends>
3 : to be necessary or needed
4 : to desire to come, go, or be <the cat wants in> <wants out of the deal>
transitive senses
1 : to fail to possess especially in customary or required amount : LACK <the
answer wanted courtesy>
2 a : to have a strong desire for <wanted a chance to rest> b : to have an
inclination to : LIKE <say what you want, he is efficient>
3 a : to have need of : REQUIRE <the motor wants a tune-up> b : to suffer from
the lack of <thousands still want food and shelter>
4 : OUGHT -- used with the infinitive <you want to be very careful what you
say -- Claudia Cassidy>
5 : to wish or demand the presence of
6 : to hunt or seek in order to apprehend <wanted for murder>
synonym see DESIRE

From the context of your sentence, 2a applies "to have a strong desire for",
which implies awareness.  The second phrase of your statement denies
awareness, ergo, nonsensical.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/