 Off-Topic / Debate / 760
Re: Terms and Conditions Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 21:57:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Simon Denscombe writes:

Homophobic is a slang term, which derives from another slang term 'homo'
(homosexual), and has no basis as a scientific term.  It's unfortuate, and I
do my best to never use it, and attempt to gently correct friends when they
use it, because, as is often the case, a scientific-sounding term is being
used to provide an opinion with a sense of legitimacy.

Well homophobia is in regular use everywhere - I wouldn't call that
slang.

What I always found particularly ironic is that, going by the way the • various
"phobias" are structured (from the greek), homophobia means 'fear of same'
Think about that, next time someone describes themself as homophobic. ;-)

I know that - homo also means man according to Mr Stanley - so it could
be fear of men.  This is an example of a word which is not a sum of it's
component parts.

Yes, but as I stated above, it mimics scientific (medical) terminology,
without actually having that scientific basis behind it.  By doing so, it
masquarades as a legitimate term for a condition, when in fact, it is a coined
phrase for an opinion.  This, IMHO, makes it slang.  Slang, to me, (and I
think, in general, but don't have a linguistics professor handy) is words that
have come into general use, but aren't "part" of the language.  An excellent
example is "ain't" - It's in general use (most places I've ever been in North
America), but is labeled slang on those occaisions when I've seen it in a
dictionary.  By my lights, that's essentially the same situation as homophobia.

$0.02
James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/