 Off-Topic / Debate / 7545
Re: The god debate again... sigh (Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 00:14:58 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Larry Pieniazek wrote:
I tend to label myself an atheist, because explaining that I'm agnostic to
the extent of allowing for the existence of an unknowable spirit who has no
effect on the universe whatever (no other kind is supported by the evidence)
is too much gafla to inflict on your random minister (although I'm happy to
tell Jehovah's Witnesses all about it, it messes with their world view).

To be short, ditto.  I find it ends a conversation (that I don't want to plow
through YET AGAIN) quicker if I just say I am an atheist, rather than saying I
am agnostic.

I have had JWs come to my door, I tell them that while I have read The Bible
in it's entirety (KJ version, I believe, it's been more than 15 years since I
read it), it's just an interesting book to me, I am an atheist.  Boy do they
leave fast

Tom/Larry or whomever...
(Too busy to read what's already been discussed... I just caught your post on
the news main page... so I'm sure you'll let me know if I've missed
something... :-)  )

No offense intended, but my philosophy courses taught me that there really
isn't anyone who is actually an atheist.  Agnosticism is more defensible than
atheism.

An atheist says there is no God.
An agnostic says they don't know.
An atheist claims to know something with certainty, which the realist agnostic
realizes is impossible... For the atheist to know that there is no God, he
would have to know everything, and would then be a sort of god himself.

Sorry - atheists are kidding themselves.
I doubt anyone who's honest can say they're an atheist, they're probably just a
confused agnostic...
-Jon
(my 2 cents)