 Off-Topic / Debate / 7823
Re: The god debate again... sigh (Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2000 16:39:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jon Kozan writes:

No offense intended, but my philosophy courses taught me that there really
isn't anyone who is actually an atheist.

No offense back, but I believe that you were failed by your education.

Agnosticism is more defensible than atheism.

The idea that one philosophy is more defensible than another does not negate
those who adhere to the less defensible philosophy.

An atheist says there is no God.
An agnostic says they don't know.

And a Christian says there is a god.  A very specific one.

An atheist claims to know something with certainty,

As does the Christian.

which the realist agnostic realizes is impossible...

Not true.  Some agnostics believe for a variety of reasons that there is
evidence on both sides of the issue, and they haven't worked out which is the
stronger.  That doesn't mean that they believe that knowledge is impossible.

For the atheist to know that there is no God, he
would have to know everything, and would then be a sort of god himself.

Can't the same be said about Christians?

Sorry - atheists are kidding themselves.
I doubt anyone who's honest can say they're an atheist, they're probably
just a confused agnostic...

Unlike Tom and Larry, I don't merely claim atheism to get religious whacks to
step off.  I claim atheism because there is no evidence (and I mean _none_, as
in not a speck of it) that there is anything outside this world that we operate
on.  There are no inexplicable occurances that suggest a need for
some supernatural other world to exist.  Since there is no need for it, and no
evidence for it, why would I possibly even give the idea the time of day?

(Actually, I have, because so many other people seemed so convinced.  But I
shouldn't have.  It was weakness on my part.)

So...I'm an atheist and I'm not kidding myself.  Regardless of what the grad
student teaching your survey of world philosophies course said.  And just like
I can adhere to a philosophy that is harder to defend than agnosticism, so can
Christians.

Chris