 Off-Topic / Debate / 7550
Re: The god debate again... sigh (Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 02:15:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jon Kozan writes:

Tom/Larry or whomever...
(Too busy to read what's already been discussed... I just caught your post on
the news main page... so I'm sure you'll let me know if I've missed
something... :-)  )

No offense intended, but my philosophy courses taught me that there really
isn't anyone who is actually an atheist.  Agnosticism is more defensible than
atheism.

An atheist says there is no God.
An agnostic says they don't know.
An atheist claims to know something with certainty, which the realist agnostic
realizes is impossible... For the atheist to know that there is no God, he
would have to know everything, and would then be a sort of god himself.

Actually, I think it fits because, as in Larry's case, he doesn't WANT to
know God as he perceives Him to be. The problem is his perception of what
God is. And yet, in my opinion, the blame for so many who are utterly
repulsed by the thought of the God they perceive falls squarely on
Christians who represent Him so poorly. Most people who lean on doubts or
apparent biblical contradictions simply don't WANT to believe in God, which
is cool. It is far worse to go along with something you don't really believe.

Bill