 Off-Topic / Debate / 7529
Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 20:22:10 GMT

Both of you have made my point very clearly - namely this, you cannot fix a
problem until you are able to both realize and accept it's root. We cannot
address any of societies problems until we accept the fact that it is bent
on selfishness - usually to it's own detriment. I also tried to avoid
boiling it down to "God" because it elicits the same old gut emotional
reactions - usually because just about everyone has been severely offended
by some over- zealous religious imbecile. Honestly, I don't blame anyone for
these reactions, most religious folk have brought it upon themselves.

Interestingly enough, we have an unintentional answer to the "God" debate
straight from Big Lar himself:

http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=24629

Bill

In a perfect world, Libertopia is, IMO, the best form of government you could
have.  Problem is, you need to have the perfect world *first*.  People need
to already be respectful and responsible for the system to work.  I don't see
a way for that process to happen.  In fact, I see the world evolving the
opposite way, where people are becoming more and more un*civil and less and
less willing to take personal responsibility.

And so, it begs the question, if you already *have* a perfect world, then
*any* system will do, including anarchy.

This has been my contention for some time, and I'm gratified to hear it
restated so eloquently.  My problem has never been with the conclusions in
Libertopia's arguments, but rather in the assumptions necessary for the
system to work.
In fact, I mentioned something very much like this a few months back:

=+=
It seems to me, though, that any society sufficiently infused
with personal discipline and responsibility to effect a viable Libertopia
would be equally able to effect a viable pure dictatorship since, presumably
everyone including the dictator would have an equivalent respect for personal
sovereignty. (Though I grant that such a dictatorship wouldn't be much of a
dictatorship!)
=+=

from http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=5781

Dave!