 Off-Topic / Debate / 5781
Re: personal responsibility (was:Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2000 16:39:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
But what is most important is that just because I claim the "victim" has
this responsibility in no way eliminates the responsibility of the
perpetrator.

I agree completely!  Unfortunately I didn't read your other post on this
subject until after I'd posted my previous message, or I'd've addressed your
points!

If this debate about responsibility is an attempt to show
Chris and myself (and bunches of other people) to be cold and uncaring
because of this stance, I would reject your claim.

  That's not my intent at all, and, since this is for all intents and purposes
a thought experiment, I have no way to judge your "coldness" based solely on
these debates.  Further, I once again applaud the notion of personal
responsibility.  However, I think there's a lot of room for messy equivocation
on the word "victim" and "responsible" in this argument that needs to be
addressed.

I am not at all
uncaring (I would even care in the case of someone clearly "asking" for
it, though I also would acknowledge that they took a big risk and got
bit, they really should have done better, but that won't have me calling
for any less punishment of the perpretrator).

Likewise, the gulf between one's own responsibility in ordinary circumstances
(riding a typical subway or walking down a typical street) and responsibility
in extreme circumstances (stomping an infant, standing up on a roller coaster,
or whatever) needs to be addressed.

I think the fundamental point underlying this is why many people have
trouble understanding the Libertarian viewpoint.

  I'm pretty sure after the several debates here that I understand the
Libertarian viewpoint fairly well, and I have a good sense of what Libertopia
would entail.  It seems to me, though, that any society sufficiently infused
with personal discipline and responsibility to effect a viable Libertopia
would be equally able to effect a viable pure dictatorship since, presumably
everyone including the dictator would have an equivalent respect for personal
sovereignty. (Though I grant that such a dictatorship wouldn't be much of a
dictatorship!)

     Dave!