 Off-Topic / Debate / 7468
Re: LP POINT 3
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 18:19:59 GMT

4 Quick Questions:
1. Race
Under libertarian principles, would one have the right discriminate against
others based on race?

Yes.  I have never met a Libertarian who said otherwise.  Most think it
dumb, but they do believe you should be able to.

2. Slave
Under libertarian principles, would one have the right sell oneself into
slavery?

In the form of indentured servitude, yes.

3. Regulation
Would medical doctors etc be regulated to ensure their competence? Or could
one just buy a medical degree from a University, and open a practice?

I don't have the "official" Libertarian answer to this.  This would be up to
the "consumer" to determine, I believe.  It would probably be expected that
legitimate doctors would form their own society (club, organization, union,
whatever) and weed out quacks so that the consumer could patronize their
group with confidence that members have proper and thorough medical
training.  Caveat emptor.  The ones who couldn't meet the demands of the
private organizations would end up on the Miracle Mile in Los Angeles (guess
how it got its name).    :-)

4. Game Shows
Would TV companies be able to air "The Running Man" type shows where
volunteer contestants fight each other to death?

Gladitorial combat!  Bail your family out of debt at the cost of your life!
Well, yes, I think so.  You can kill yourself (control of your own life), I
don't see why you couldn't assign that right to someone else.

I'm less sure of the Libertarian philosphies on the final two points.
Whether effective governing bodies can be set up (or any governing bodies at
all) to regulate any of this is something else entirely.

Bruce