 Off-Topic / Debate / 7465
Re: LP POINT 3
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 18:17:26 GMT

4 Quick Questions:

  I'm hardly Libertarian, but I think I can field a few of these:

1. Race
Under libertarian principles, would one have the right discriminate against
others based on race?

  Sure, as one is able to discriminate now, based on race.  Not currently in
terms of employment or pay, but the right to associate or not to associate
is spelled out very clearly in the Constitution.  In Libertopia, I think,
one would be free to employ based on ability, which, one hopes, would
transcend issues of race or gender.  (Remember, at present, this is a
hypothetical realm, but the theory is useful.)  In any case, why should one
be forced to employ someone of lesser qualifications, regardless of race or
gender?  I know employment isn't the only manifestation of racial
discrimination, but it's a solid, tangible illustration.

2. Slave
Under libertarian principles, would one have the right sell oneself into
slavery?

  I'm not sure where the LP comes down on this, but I'll take a shot at it.
If certain rights, such as liberty, cannot be forfeit, then slavery cannot
be entered into, even voluntarily.  One could, I'd imagine, sell one's
exclusive services to a bidder, much as is done today through contract work.
Slavery turns an individual into property, and property has no rights.

3. Regulation
Would medical doctors etc be regulated to ensure their competence? Or could
one just buy a medical degree from a University, and open a practice?

  My understanding of Libertarian principles, as spelled out in OT.Debate,
includes full and honest disclosure.  As such, you might be free to buy
whatever degree you care to buy, but you must reveal that you have no
training to back up that degree.  In any case, you would be held liable as a
dubiously-licensed MD (or whatever), and soon after your first botched
procedure you'd be out of business.  If you stayed in business, however,
you'd need to disclose your previous botches, which certainly wouldn't help
future business.

4. Game Shows
Would TV companies be able to air "The Running Man" type shows where
volunteer contestants fight each other to death?

  Not quite sure how to articulate my answer to this one, and I'm of two
minds anyway.  I'll get back to you...

     Dave!

PS: My apologies to any actual Libertarians if I've grossly misrepresented
    the LP's views here!