 Off-Topic / Debate / 7214
Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 12:23:58 GMT

   Maggie,
   I don't want to be harsh or insulting, but this basically sounds like
what I have been hearing for years from the pro-choice people, and it hasn't
put a dent in my way of thinking in all those years.  I can empathize with
you not wanting strangers in Washington butting in to your affairs.
Everyone can empathize with that, I would think, because strangers in
Washington do butt into many of our affaris far too often.  Still your
argument sounds emotional.  Nothing wrong with emotions as long as there is
some rationality to accompany them.

   So, you say we should agree to disagree.  That's fine, I disagree with
people all the time.  The best chance of my mind changing is if the people I
disagree with explain to me why they think the way they do (not the way they
feel - because that is usually inexplicable).

   In my mind the inalienable rights we have granted to human beings should
apply to ALL human beings, including the very, very young (unborn).  I think
these rights should take precedence over someone else's wishes not to be
"hassled by the man."  Please tell me a) why your desire not to be troubled
by the powers that be is more important than the right to life of another
human being or b) what evidence you have that a fetus younger than an
arbitrary number (16 weeks?) is not a human being.

   I'd like you to prove it to me, or at least show me whatever evidence
works for you.  I'd like to agree with you.  I'd like to share the majority
opinion for once.

the environment, and Libertarian regarding my stance on drug policy. • Never
again will I make the mistake of assuming that all you Libertarians are • cut
from the same cloth!

   Well, that is quite all right, Maggie, I am barely a Libertarian anyway.
One of the fun things about watching their conventions is the incessant
bickering and squabbling.  They are still a young party, and therefore there
is room for a variety of views within the party, unlike the tried and true
parties that have an exact predefined, politically calculated answer for
every issue (or non-issue).

I have snipped most of what you wrote

   Likewise.

And on these issues (particularly the latter) we probably have to agree to
disagree.

You may or may not know that I have two young children.  When they were
babies

   I did not know that.  It must be nice!

with such a decision.  But I do want it to be MY decision, with input from
my

   Who else's decision could it be?