 Off-Topic / Debate / 7201
Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 00:09:38 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, John DiRienzo writes:

I don't believe anyone's viewpoint will be swayed if we all
keep our opinions to ourselves.  I will gladly give you clarification.  I
learn a lot more by thinking and discussion than I do by keeping my opinion
to myself and asking others to do the same.

Thank you, John , for a well thought out response to my post.  You have swayed
my viewpoint, as did Larry's referral to the poll of Libertarians on their
opinions on the matter of choice.  It was naive of me to assume that because
one is a member of a particular party that one would necessarily agree with
what would seem the obvious (to me) position for that party to take given its
general philosophy.  I certainly should have known better, considering that you
would probably take me for a Democrat regarding where I stand in, as you say,
my belief "in a fetus' right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness,"
Republican in some of my opinions on economic policy, Green in my position on
the environment, and Libertarian regarding my stance on drug policy.  Never
again will I make the mistake of assuming that all you Libertarians are cut
from the same cloth!

  Here is how and why I agree with Simpson, more or less:

  I am a human and I view my physical body as my property (no one else's,
not society's).  My body is my most prized possession, in fact.  I believe
all humans have the right to view their bodies in the same way, as their own
personal property that no one else has a claim on.  Anyone who is unable to
view his own body entirely as his own property is enslaved.
  As human beings we, whether male or female, have the right to do as we
wish with anything we own(1) - our property, including our bodies - as long
as it does not violate the rights of another human being.

I have snipped most of what you wrote because it has already elicited
voluminous response from those much more eloquent than I am. As you say, it
seems to boil down to when we consider a fetus another human being and, if we
do consider a fetus to be an individual, whose rights should take precedence.
And on these issues (particularly the latter) we probably have to agree to
disagree.

You may or may not know that I have two young children.  When they were babies
I noticed some amazing things, things that you don't read about in the "Having
a Baby" guides.  When my older son was born I noticed that the toenails on his
big toes were shaped like little triangles.  At first I thought this might be
some kind of minor birth defect.  Then I realized that he had grown and
developed so much in so little time that he could not have developed "regular"
sized toenails in that time.  With my second son I noticed a lack of definition
in the whorls of his ears when he was first born.  Amazingly, they seemed to
develop before my eyes during the weeks after he was born.  With each of my
babies, I would often marvel at the fact that they had spent more time
developing inside the womb than out-- and at nine months I looked at each of
them and it amazed me to think how much development must have occurred in the
nine months prior to birth, considering what had taken place in the nine months
since birth.

So it isn't as though I haven't thought about the nature of the development of
a human being-- certainly I've seen evidence that birth is just another phase
in the continuing development of an individual.

If I were to become pregnant now, I would undergo certain tests which are
standard for a woman over age 35 to detect certain birth defects such as Down's
Syndrome or anacephaly.  These tests are performed early enough in a pregnancy
so that one can choose to terminate it before the fourth month if one discovers
that the fetus has certain abnormalities.  In the case of an anacephalic child,
I suspect I would choose to terminate the pregnancy-- in the case of a Down's
Syndrome child, I have no idea what I would do.  And I hope never to be faced
with such a decision.  But I do want it to be MY decision, with input from my
husband and my doctor.  I want to examine my own conscience, I do not want some
strangers in Washington, possibly with entirely different views from my own
dictating to me what I can or cannot do with my body. Yes, I would be making
that decision knowing I decide the fate of a living being inside my body.  But
please, let ME be the one to make that decision.  If it happened to you or your
partner, I wouldn't dream of butting in.  I would hope that I could be granted
the same courtesy.

Maggie C.