 Off-Topic / Debate / 7200
7199  |  7201
Subject:
Parental strategies? (was: Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 00:04:23 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote:

This is my stance, except that I'm unsure about when one becomes human, since I
don't think the biology is what rights hinge on.  I am careful to let my son
know that we don't own him and that he is not our slave.  We practice a
parental philosophy of no forceful coersion.

Hmm.  Interesting, Chris.  I'm curious about some things.  First, how old is your
son?  And why would he think that you might "own" him, or that he is your "slave"?
(I assume you mean that you don't "own him" in the sense that he is your
*property*, but would say that he is *your* child and thus *your*
responsibility.)   It just struck me as odd that a child would even consider these
possibilities.

Now, as far as discipline goes, don't we (mustn't we) impose our wills upon our
children every day?  Maybe I am not understanding what you mean when you say "no
forceful coersion"  Please explain.

-John