 Off-Topic / Debate / 7010
Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 21:12:22 GMT

What I meant was that since the LP by its own assertion lacks sufficient
numbers and sufficiently electable high-level candidates at this time, such
sweeping changes as the original post describes are unlikely to garner
adequate Congressional support to be passed.  In the future, who knows?  But
for the immediate future the Democrats and Republicans are firmly entrenched
in Congress.

Fair enough. (and it's not only in congress that they are entrenched)

There are two opposing forces here that shape the LP platform...

One force being that there is a need to avoid Libertarian Macho Flash, which
causes people who haven't thought through the implications of the LP
fundamental principle to say "what?? you want to [abolish Social
Security|privatize the national parks|legalise cocaine] <gulp> you guys are
nuts!" ... this is bad because it turns the uncritical thinkers off. Witness
Scott A's reaction, for example. Tons of typing could be devoted to
laboriously explaining and refuting, point by point, but what a waste of
time if you haven't convinced him of first principles first. Not easy to do
when you're dealing with an uncritical thinker or someone who isn't good at
drawing inferences from experiential data. This argues against radical stances.

The other, opposing force, is that gradualism doesn't work. As I've said
before, I think there is a shift toward small l libertarian ideas already
underway, and I will take whatever shift I get. But you don't get government
made signficantly smaller by calling for a minor slowdown in its growth, you
get it by calling for radical surgery.

The principles that the LP operates under say that, for example, that all
drugs should be legal. Calling for just pot to be legalised, except as a
first step, misses the mark of trying to free people to suffer the effects
of their choices instead of relying on the state for protection from their
own actions.

++Lar