 Off-Topic / Debate / 7008
Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 20:42:23 GMT

The LP is not going for the Ross Perot model of winning elections, in which
one takes the top office but nothing else. The LP is working for change at
all levels.

Therefore if a Libertarian gets elected president, it stands to reason that
the party will be strong enough to also elect a great many congressmen and
senators. Perhaps not a majority, but enough to get significant work done.

So I guess I'd say that I disagree with your statement, as it wasn't very
well thought out.

  Easy there, big fella.  My point wasn't intended to be as sharp as you're
inferring.  8^)  And in any case you gain great credibility by going against
Perot's model--perhaps Nader has something to learn from you in that regard.
  What I meant was that since the LP by its own assertion lacks sufficient
numbers and sufficiently electable high-level candidates at this time, such
sweeping changes as the original post describes are unlikely to garner
adequate Congressional support to be passed.  In the future, who knows?  But
for the immediate future the Democrats and Republicans are firmly entrenched
in Congress.

     Dave!