 Off-Topic / Debate / 7011
Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 21:18:24 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Powell writes:
I want you to be able to keep _every_ dollar you
earn -- to spend it, save it, give it away as
_you_ think best -- not just the crumbs the
politicians leave for you.

um...no.

I give about 1/2 of my pay back to the government (something like, I don't have
the stats for Canada).

In essence, that money goes towards covering a bunch of costs, that are
associated with being a member of a civilized western nation.  It means, I
don't have to go out begging if I need medical aid.  It means that should a
company I work for (I'm a government employee, so kind of moot) decide that I
am to be "Downsized", I will have some money available to let me look for new
work.  It means that if I have kids, they will get to go to school...and I
won't be faced with paying 3x my salary each year if they choose to go to
collage.

Well, James, we've already had this argument. You know darn well already
that all of these things above are goods, rather than rights. And as I've
said before, there is no moral right to free goods.

But since you're a communist: http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=6396
I'm not sure that you'll ever actually concede how reality works.

Besides which...I don't think that we could _ever_ go back to pre 1914 levels
of taxation or duties.  (which are hidden taxes anyway...).  The US military
recieved how much of GDP in 1914?  How much now?  How much revenue is that
shortfall _right now?_

Not sure where you are going with that. What is the appropriate level of
military expenditure if you're not trying to be the world's policeman and
not trying to project your force around for "economic" advantage? A lot less
than we spend now, and possibly less as a percentage of GDP than we spent in
1914.

++Lar