 Off-Topic / Debate / 6390
Re: Bridget
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 15:10:07 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Powell writes:
Why wouldn't *sonic* weapons be ideal
  for a fluid medium?

Yes, except for one small problem.

   Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble?  :(

If you can work out the dynamics
  and the power, wave propigation should be well in your
  favour.  They are, of course, less useful in the air,
  but underwater they'd be magnificent.

Wave propigation (sp for both of us!).  Even if you focus the energy more than
present methods do, _off_ the transmitter, you will run into the limit of
boiling water.

   Ack, I know this is .debate and I should be all defensive
   and contrary and throw chairs at you, but that would be very
   silly considering that you're right.  ;)

US active Sonar can and does do this, under some
situations...the SONAR is powerful enough to boil the water off from around • the transducer, which produces a lot of steam, but not much in the way of
detection.  The SONAR which is certanly capable of doing this is the one on LA
class subs, because when you are deep you can put much more power into the
water than at shallow depths without this happening (because of
pressure/boiling temp relationship).  IIRC, the active array on a LA can get
to about 220 dB on the face of a transducer.

   I knew they ran hot, but I didn't think they ran *that* hot!
   I was more considering a sort of focussed series of waves, but
   apparently even that would quickly lead to oneself becoming
   an Infrared Bullseye.

   Here's another possibility:  What about meson guns?  Nothing
   better than firing particles that decay *inside* the target!
   Woohoo!  The downside, of course, is I don't think the mechanism
   needed to perform such a feat is liable to fit on a mecha (even
   an outsize one).

   One final thought:  Gauss rifles.

  BTW, isn't there a German SMG designed to fire underwater
  or in exceptionally "dirty" environments...?  Range would
  suffer, doubtless, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't
  hallucinating.

the caseless (G7?) I _think_ is the only one that could do that, because no
case to eject after firing.  It's still under development AFAK, and may never
see service.

  (snipped long post from later about P11/G11)

   I thought the G11 was already in service, but alas it appears not.
   Maybe gauss weapons will be the only way to get around that, some-
   day...?  (As long as the enemy doesn't throw a wad of fridge magnets
   at you, of course.)

   best

   Lindsay